Council Retreat Agenda
1. Welcome and Call To Order
2. Presentation and discussion:
Review of Retreat Objectives:
· Facilitator will discuss general guidelines for the retreat.
· Facilitator will share information from interviews with council members on their expectations for retreat topics.
Input from interviews:
· “Why did you run for office?”
· “What are the major policies issues facing this Council?”
o Long term (5-10 years)
o Short term (12018 months)
Discuss common themes including:
· Role clarification
· Stay at the policy level
4. Presentation and discussion on top 5-7 key strategic (longer term) issues and definitions to be certain all are seeing the same things in generally the same way.
5. Presentation and discussion to be clear on strategic policy level initiatives.
· Discuss council’s role in strategic planning
· What happens with these after the retreat
6. Presentation and discussion on what are the Council’s greatest strengths and weaknesses.
· Present interview information as a discussion starter. Recognize what we must address and improve the weaknesses and amplify the strengths.
· Discussion for collective clarity on the main items in each category.
· How do they relate to the ability to achieve the strategic initiatives
7. Presentation and discussion on
· Vision and Values
· Enrolling others
· Open discussion
· How does this apply to the Council discussion today?
8. Recess for dinner and summarize progress and outline for the following day.
1. Reconvene and review the previous day key points and outline discussion.
2. Presentation and discussion of key vision points and the strategic initiatives:
· If the key strategic initiatives are unclear, the City Council will continue the process
· Review vision information from interviews
· Draft a vision as a team
3. Presentation and discussion on each key strategic initiative focusing on City Council expectations and outcome:
· Not a discussion of administrative detail.
· Be specific about the outcome expected and general time frames.
· How does the City Council want to measure progress and keep their focus strong?
· Be clear on administrative response to City Council expectation and how the process of accountability will be managed.
· Stay at policy level.
· Identify specific short-term policy issues to bring to formal action in the next year.
· Discuss Council meeting procedures, Committee appointment process and Council Code of Ethics.
4. Final comments and adjournment.
City Manager Thomas E. Brymer
I certify that this agenda was posted on the bulletin board
at the Municipal building,
This public notice was removed from the official board at
City Secretary Connie Hooks
This building is wheelchair accessible. Handicap parking spaces are available. Any request for sign interpretive service must be made 48 hours before the meeting. To make arrangements call (979) 764-3517 or (TDD) 1-800-735-2989.